How the demerit points system works in Singapore traffic laws?
For experience drivers (after the first year), the demerit points allowable are increased to 24 points over a period of 2-years. There are 8 categories of offences that carry demerit points. They are grouped under 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18 & 24 demerit points according to the severity of offences.
Common causes of demerit points are:
- Exceeding speed limit for vehicle by more than 30km/h up to 40km/h: 8 pts
- Reckless driving: 12 pts
- Failing to stop at traffic lights: 12 pts
- Exceeding speed limit by more than 40kmh: 12 pts
- Failing to conform to traffic red light signals: 12 pts
- Failing to wear seat belt: 3 pts
- Driver failing to ensure that front/rear seat passenger wears a seat belt: 3 pts